Welcome to www.tendlife.com !!!

My Dog Bites Me When I Try To Clip His Nails!!

Question:
Hello,
I know this is a fairly simple subject -- but please help me. I have a mini Dachshund. His nails are so long -- I have tried numerous methods to clip his nails (muzzle, positive reinforcement, making him whiddle them down etc). He just simply won't let me do it -- if there is anyone out there who has any pet grooming knowledge please help me -- I am looking to purchase a dog elevated holder thingy. I know that sounds stupid but here is what it looks like it has 4 poles & a hanger thing in the middle where you put the dog at with 4 holes for each of its paws the dog is elevated in the air so it has no choice but to stay. I have no idea where to purchase one of these or even what it is called. Anyone who knows the name of this contraption please help me. I mean it is starting to get out of hand -- noone will even try to help me clip his paws anymore ( for fear of him biting ). Any suggestions are also welcome. Thank you for your future responses!!

Answer:
Originally Posted by beleafer85
Hello,
I know this is a fairly simple subject -- but please help me. I have a mini Dachshund. His nails are so long -- I have tried numerous methods to clip his nails (muzzle, positive reinforcement, making him whiddle them down etc). He just simply won't let me do it -- if there is anyone out there who has any pet grooming knowledge please help me -- I am looking to purchase a dog elevated holder thingy. I know that sounds stupid but here is what it looks like it has 4 poles & a hanger thing in the middle where you put the dog at with 4 holes for each of its paws the dog is elevated in the air so it has no choice but to stay. I have no idea where to purchase one of these or even what it is called. Anyone who knows the name of this contraption please help me. I mean it is starting to get out of hand -- noone will even try to help me clip his paws anymore ( for fear of him biting ). Any suggestions are also welcome. Thank you for your future responses!!

My parents have an Italian Greyhound that does the same thing. He tries to attack them when they clip his nails. I wouldn't spend my money on one of those things if I were you. There is still a way for them to move and he may become terrified of the contraption itself.

My parents just do their best. They wrap him tightly in a blanket/towel with only his legs hanging out. One of them tightly (not too tight though) hugs/holds him on their lap with his had up under their other arm. The other cuts the nails. He still throws a fit, but it's gotten better.

ALWAYS have some stypic powder on hand in case you accidentally nick the vein. I never attempt to cur my dogs nails without it beside me in case of an emergency. Thankfully I've only ever had to use it twice (in 7 years time).

Answer:
Originally Posted by beleafer85
Hello,
I know this is a fairly simple subject -- but please help me. I have a mini Dachshund. His nails are so long -- I have tried numerous methods to clip his nails (muzzle, positive reinforcement, making him whiddle them down etc). He just simply won't let me do it -- if there is anyone out there who has any pet grooming knowledge please help me -- I am looking to purchase a dog elevated holder thingy. I know that sounds stupid but here is what it looks like it has 4 poles & a hanger thing in the middle where you put the dog at with 4 holes for each of its paws the dog is elevated in the air so it has no choice but to stay. I have no idea where to purchase one of these or even what it is called. Anyone who knows the name of this contraption please help me. I mean it is starting to get out of hand -- noone will even try to help me clip his paws anymore ( for fear of him biting ). Any suggestions are also welcome. Thank you for your future responses!!

If I was restrained in what you are describing, muzzled and manhandled I would bite you too. If I were your dog..I would be rethinking my home life too.

Please call a vet or a professional groomer and have them clip his nails. Sounds like he expects a fight now. Why put him through it? This creates unneeded trauma for the guy. I have seen difficult dogs before but there is always a better avenue to take without inflicting more fear.
My Ciara is a tough nail trimming customer too but I would not be able to live with myself putting her through what you are describing.

Answer:
try to lay him on his back in your lap, and start one foot at a time rub the toes play with his take the clipper tap the toes.... get him used to that for a few days. then try again but go slow. dont try to do them all at once until he doesn't put up a fight.... an some nice treats at the end

Answer:
My dog will not bite me when I do his nails, but he gets really frustrated and anxious. He's gotten a lot better since I've introduced his favourite treat...cheese. He only gets cheese after baths, so I thought it would be good to give it to him each nail I got through. It worked well too. Maybe talking quietly would help...I repeat "it's okay", in a REALLY calm voice, as in "there's absolutely no reason for you to be upset...nothing bad is going to happen." Just some suggestions.

Answer:
Originally Posted by levimh
My dog will not bite me when I do his nails, but he gets really frustrated and anxious. He's gotten a lot better since I've introduced his favourite treat...cheese. He only gets cheese after baths, so I thought it would be good to give it to him each nail I got through. It worked well too. Maybe talking quietly would help...I repeat "it's okay", in a REALLY calm voice, as in "there's absolutely no reason for you to be upset...nothing bad is going to happen." Just some suggestions.

Cheese is Ciara's funny bone on a nail trim also. (Plenty of bribbing on the side to boot)

Just a note: Laying a male dog on it's back is not the right way to address the issue...it is unnatural for them, submessive..they tend to argue this. If you start handling their paws and rolling them over as a puppy you will find less resistance later on.

Answer:
Monty dislikes having his nails done and as a result gets very frustrated. Depending on his mood, sometime I will get one nail cut in a session, other times all of them.

Lucy was terrified when we first introduced the clippers to her. We worked for a long time to desensitize her to the clippers before we ever clipped a nail (she was always fine with touching the feet, toes, nails, etc, but pull out the clippers and she would bolt). Now we can usually get two or three nails done per session.

Jack will pass out on the couch enabling me to get all his nails at once .. he does,'t even notice that I'm doing it.

I would think that if your dog is having such a difficult time with the trimming now, that if you buy the table you mention and place him in it so his feet dangle, you may find that you will trim the nails once, then every time you pull that table out you are going to have a difficult time getting him on it let alone near it. Have you tried working on desensitizing him to the clippers by working up to being able to tap them on his nails? rather than writing out the whole process, run a search on this forum - there have been a few discussion similiar to this in other threads, including a post which involves making a giant emery board. As Dachshund's are natural diggers you may get better results with this approach.

Answer:
I am having a hard time picturing the "feet dangling" part...just what is happening to the rest of the dogs body? Is this suppose to relieve stress?

A dog that is already excitable over having a nail trim would doubt being constrainded into any device. What is so wrong with trying the human touch?

Since when is ANY device needed to trim nails? This is really new to me and I can't like it one iota!

Answer:
Originally Posted by Karin
I am having a hard time picturing the "feet dangling" part...just what is happening to the rest of the dogs body? Is this suppose to relieve stress?

A dog that is already excitable over having a nail trim would doubt being constrainded into any device. What is so wrong with trying the human touch?

Since when is ANY device needed to trim nails? This is really new to me and I can't like it one iota!

I can see this adding to stress (particularily if I were to apply it with my dogs). Best I can tell from the description, the dogs is cradled in a body harness and the legs stick out the bottom. If the dogs is already jittery, having the legs hang in free air won't necessarily stop the legs from moving. I would imagine that they would move more often and more frantic.

Answer:
I see that as extra stress too... My pup has a lifejacket for the pool and lake... and no matter how well she is craddled, in your arms or floating in the pool her legs paddle non stop until you hold her like a monkey so her feet are all on you. All I can picture is this dog trying to 'swim' while looking to put it's feet down..

Answer:
Trimming a CATS nails is probably not that different from a dog It's a 2-people job..I keep the cat on my lap,cuddling it,making him feel all comfy,while hubby does the clipping,the lap-part could be difficult,if the dog is as big as Ciara(Karins Rottie )It works great except with Rocky,who gets his nails clipped at the vets,where he freezes and you can do anything to him..

Answer:
Copyright © 2007 - 2012 www.tendlife.com